Beer in Nigeria
STRONG PERFORMANCE PROJECTED FOR BEER OVER THE FORECAST PERIOD
Total beer volume sales in Nigeria are expected to increase strongly over the forecast period thanks to population growth and economic improvements. Volume growth will also be boosted as consumers continue to switch to more affordable economy products, particularly in lager.
COMPETITION BETWEEN LAGER PRICE BANDS INTENSIFIES
Economy lager overtook mid-priced lager in 2015 to become the biggest lager category in Nigeria in total volume sales terms. The ascent of economy lager in recent years has been largely driven by growing consumer appreciation for its affordable price positioning.
HIGHER-PRICED BRANDS HAVE GOOD POTENTIAL IN NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER AND STOUT
A trend towards lower-priced products was also evident in non-alcoholic beer and stout over 2012-2017. However, demand for mid-priced and premium brands is expected to recover in both categories over the forecast period.
NIGERIAN BREWERIES CONTINUES TO DOMINATE BEER
Nigerian Breweries remained the clear leader in beer in total volume sales terms in 2017. Its commanding lead was due to its ownership of well-established and popular local brands such as Star, Gulder, Goldberg, 33 Export and Life Continental.
ECONOMY BRANDS GAIN GROUND IN 2017
Players focused on economy brands performed best in beer in 2017 as disposable incomes stagnated due to the sluggish economic recovery. The largest overall volume share gains were recorded by AB InBev subsidiaries Pabod Breweries and International Breweries with their respective brands Hero Lager and Trophy.
NIGERIAN BREWERIES LEADS INNOVATION
Nigerian Breweries led new product development activity within beer in 2017. In an attempt to curtail the declining trend in its overall volume share and offset poor performances by mid-priced brands, particularly Gulder, the company repackaged its economy brand Life Continental Lager.
SAMPLES (FAQS ABOUT SAMPLES):
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Beer industry in Nigeria with research from Euromonitor’s team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you’re in the Beer industry in Nigeria, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Beer in Nigeria market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Beer in Nigeria?
- What are the major brands in Nigeria?
- How has premium lager performed in the wake of the global recession, has it lost out to economy lager as consumers traded down?
- What are the most popular flavours within non-alcoholic beer?
- What are the market opportunities for ‘healthier’ beers like low calorie and/or low abv beers?
- Has the implementation of a stricter drink driving law benefited sales of low/non-alcohol beer?
- Has the recession benefited domestic lager over imported lager?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.